Thursday, March 29, 2007

Recognition in the Workplace

I admit that I have not really been in the IT workforce for that long, completing my masters degree in May. However, I have developed some strong feelings over the past year or so about the good and the bad of the workplace. My previous employer, unnamed large investment bank, was a a great experience. I was fresh out of grad school and they offered me a great entry level position where I could excel. I worked hard, went beyond the call of duty and excelled. Fast forward a couple of months and the whole department is getting moved out and looking for jobs.

I understand that this is the way that business goes, but I realized something in my time there. I was impressing people without really knowing it. Rarely were the words "Good Job" uttered, particularly from those in management positions. I was a cog. A well paid, cog, who enjoyed what they were doing, but a cog none the less.

As I went looking for a new position, I wanted to look for a company that would value what I would bring to the table, the intangebles and attitude. I am happy to say I found it. I have been in my current role for almost a month and I cannot tell you how please I am to come to the office. There have been times of very high stress, and stepping out of the box of what my "Job" is, but they have always been rewarded with words of encouragement and praise. As a junior employee, it is motivating to be recognized. It makes me want to come to work each day.

For companies out there, develop a culture of praise. It creates a happy workforce, a team atmosphere, and employees who are more than willing to step outside their comfort zone in order to move the company, or project, forward. Rewarding others probably has a direct correlation to your bottom line.

As for those who may be looking for work, go somewhere that is challenging, go somewhere that you want to be, look for something with a culture of recognition and you will work happy and be happy.

No comments: