Thursday, June 7, 2007

The iPhone, The iPhone

It looks like it is official. We should see the public release of the iPhone on June 29th, 2007.



Here are some of my predictions for the release:


  1. There will be lines - I think that there are enough apple fan boys, which I may be one of, that people waiting for stores to open to get the phone. This is like a grown up xBox360 or Wii. If you are in San Francisco, I hear that Kevin Rose, of Digg, will be camping out in front of the Downtown Apple store. You should join him there.
  2. There will be shortages - I predict that supply will not meet initial demand for the phone. I do think that this will be solved far quicker that Nintentedo's ongoing struggles with supply of the Wii, but they will struggle.
  3. Businesses will buy them - I think that the iPhone may hit the sweet spot between corporate and non-corporate users. With that said the additional functionality will be prized by many non-commercial users and the face that it is a single device that has maps and Internet will be useful to many business users.
  4. 3rd Party Apps - We know now that the iPhone will use AJAX for it's 3rd party apps, which makes sense, cause Apple wants to preserve the user experience. I do believe that down the road you will see some integrated apps, similar to the way that facebook has launched their application platform.
  5. I will want one - I really really do, but I am going to wait until Revision 2, or at least a 3G network phone. what is the point of a web enabled device if the network is not fast enough to support it.

Well, Keep your fingers crossed that Apple does well. If they do they will improve the cellphone market, particularly the cell phone UI, for years to come.

No comments: