Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Apple Announcements: First Impressions

(Also posted at abrickoncesaid.blogspot.com)

Steve Jobs, in a black turtleneck and jeans, made a number of big announcements today. Being the fan-boy that I am I thought I would give you my first impressions
  • iPod Shuffle - Nothing really big here... no real feelings
  • iPod Nano "Fatty" - I think this is pretty cool, but the form factor to me does not make nearly as much sense as the original Nano. Here is the thing, the Nano was small, really really small. It was also long, rather than wide. I think the new fatty leave an opening in the iPod lineup. I honestly do not expect this version to do nearly as well as the previous Nano. Time will tell.
  • iPod Classic (aka the old iPod) - This was a nice refresh. I still think Apple should follow their other products in the line by adding colors. The bigger hard drive is always nice (though I still have not filled my 30gig, so 160 is just insane). As for the Name, I am ok with it.
  • iPod Touch - This was the announcement that everyone was waiting for. The interface for the iPhone is great, so this was a no brainer for Apple. The fact that they included safari and WiFi are nice touches. I think this is going to be the default iPod for alot of people. I think the amazing part is the thickness. I would actually worry about snapping this in half.
  • iTunes WiFi - This is a HUGE deal. It looks like the integration has been done very well. Hearing something on the radio, or seeing something, and then being able to get it pretty quickly from the store will be great. I think this is going to be a killer app for the iPhone and a nice inclusion for the iPod Touch
  • Apple + Starbucks - Yeah.... don't really care.
  • IPHONE FOR $400 BUCKS - This is actually the biggest announcement made today, and it got the shortest amount of time. It makes me wonder a couple of things. First, is the 4GB version cancelled. Second, is there a major revision coming. If they are selling so well why would Apple drop the price. It makes me feel good about waiting until version two before I get mine.

Overall I think this was a pretty big day for Apple. Good Job Steve (see the pun).

Think I am right, think I am wrong, let me know. Post a comment.

3 comments:

PeteJustHappened said...

Yo Brick, yeah I just got the eMail about the now 8-hour video-capable iPod nano. "fatty" is a pretty good description for it!

PeteJustHappened said...

About your 101 things...this should help:

• 1. Get into an MBA Program
• 2. Get a promotion to Senior Consultant
• 3. Buy a House (a Condo at least)
o buy a play one if you can’t get the real.
• 4. Get out of Credit Card Debt
o make a box, and name that box Credit Card Debt. Get in the box. Then get out of Credit Card Debt
• 5. Lose 15 lbs
o Gain 10, then lose 15.
• 6. Paint a Still Life
• 7. Visit James in Montana
• 8. Have the NACURH Exec Reunion
• 9. Read the seven Harry Potter Books
o Hmm, guess books on tape doesn’t count…
• 10. Get a CAPM Certification
• 11. Clean Out my stuff from Mom’s House and Dad’s House
• 12. See a Broadway Show
• 13. Learn enough AJAX to create #14
• 14. Make turnthedial.com
• 15. Get a new Phone
• 16. (September 3, 2007)
o what happened 3 days ago?
• 17. Cook Korean Bar-B-Que
• 18. Cross off two more Baseball Stadiums
• 19. Take a Wine Tasting Class
o Come to Porto, Portugal. Great wine over here, and free samples!
• 20. Get a Massage
o Elan’s good at these.
• 21. Get up-to-date on my old 401(k) Roll it (I am not really sure what this means)
• 22. Get a Wii
• 23. Re-Up my ACM Membership
• 24. Join the PMI
• 25. Get a Passport
o Post Office
• 26. Go Fishing with Dad
• 27. (August 10, 2007)
o What the hell is this thing?
• 28. Get an Apple Laptop
o Windows4Life
• 29. Visit The National Constitution Center
• 30. Volunteer to be an Pi Kapp Advisor or on BOAA
• 31. Take Two Vacations with the Rat Pack Revisited
• 32. Read MS SharePoint Architecture Book
• 33. Get a Bonsai Tree
• 34. Visit Boston and see Jen and Danielle
• 35. Get a Larger Bed (okay Kim, I have to get one now since you said something)
• 36. Make Homemade Ice Cream
• 37. Visit a Hall of Fame
• 38. Upload pictures to a picasa account
• 39. Organize My Documents
o When you get your new laptop, start by making them organized…
• 40. Go to the State Fair (MD or PA)
o MD!
• 41. Host a Dinner Party
• 42. Eat something with Truffles
• 43. Visit Matt and Alyssa in NY
• 44. See a Concert
o Come to Porto! There are about 20 every day!
• 45. See the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
• 46. Read a Biography
o Write your own.
• 47. Start a spice Box/Garden
• 48. See a Minor League Baseball Game
o The Red Barons should be somewhere in your area.
• 49. Visit Aunt Randi in North Carolina
• 50. Buy Stock
• 51. Build up 3 Months of Salary in Savings
• 52. (August 26, 2007)
• 53. Cook a Holiday Dinner
• 54. Make Fresh Pasta from Scratch
• 55. Take a Daily Vitamin every day for a month
• 56. Go a Month Soda Free
o Do this the same month as being vegetarian and losing 15 pounds.
• 57. Set Up Direct Payment for Bills
o Come to Porto and do this at the ATM
• 58. Host a Poker Night
o Come to Porto; we do it all the time.
• 59. See an IMAX Movie
• 60. Go to the Aquarium
• 61. 3 Dinners in 3 different Restaurants during Restaurant Week
• 62. Shadow Box my NACURH Pins
• 63. Do the Crest Teeth Whitening thing (I already have the kit)
• 64. Join a Gym
o Get a Jim to go with you to the gym.
• 65. Bake a Cake
• 66. Visit Tia, Bonnie and Amanda in Ohio
• 67. Buy a New Suit
• 68. “Move” to Maryland
• 69. Go to Kings Dominion
• 70. Get a Doctor and Go to them
o Come to Porto! It’s free!
• 71. Get a Dentist and Go to them
o Come to Porto! It’s free!
• 72. Have Dinner at Morimoto’s
• 73. Clean out the Closets (Mine, the one at Dad’s and the one at Mom’s)
o What about Eminem’s?
• 74. Donate Old Clothes
o Purple Heart, Value Villiage…
• 75. Buy a cookbook and make every recipe in it (Probably Alton Brown’s)
o Incorporate this with the no soda / vegetarian / lose 15 pounds thing.
• 76. Get an HDTV
• 77. Get my watch fixed
• 78. Visit Alpha Chapter
• 79. Learn to make 5 cocktails, and have the alchi-hol on hand to make them
• 80. Improve my Blog template, particularly make it wider
• 81. Earn $1 from my Blog
o I’ll give you $1 if you come to Porto. Or, even better yet, one euro.
• 82. Get everything together in case something happens to Mom and/or Dad
• 83. Contact 5 NACURH people that I have not spoken to since Berkeley
• 84. Frame my Diplomas
• 85. Visit the Maryland Science Center
• 86. Run a 5K
• 87. Go Vegetarian for a Month
• 88. Eat at a Tapas Restaurant
• 89. Host or participate in a Board Game Night
o Like “We Need Girlfriends?”
• 90. Cross two states off my list
o Do this on your way to Ohio.
• 91. Play poker in Atlantic City
• 92. Join an “Of the Month” Club
• 93. Post to my Blog Daily for a month
• 94. Organize My Music / iTunes
o Do this after you get the new apple laptop. Wait, doesn’t iTunes do this for you?
• 95. Attend a Professional Conference
• 96. Get a Fish Tank, with Fish
• 97. Give Money to UMBC
• 98. Get and Watch Season 2 of Veronica Mars
• 99. Attend a Non Major Sporting Event (Arena Football??)
o Minor League baseball?
• 100. Learn Ten Phrases in Tagalog
• 101. Get Engaged to the Most Wonderful Person I Have Ever Meet.
o Wait. Me?

Manature said...

Hi

Thanks for leaving a comment in my post Label list: How to use it. I have responded to your comment.

Peter Blog*Star
Blogger Dough, a temporary blog for bloggers who want to earn from their blogging efforts until final website ready